Monday, August 31, 2020

chill, mitts, seed, car

 * The chill air at night pushes me to find my winter pajamas to wear. Smoke in the city has drifted away finally and the day temperature has a coolness to it. Ah! I have finally accomplished my high school speech teacher's forecast for me. A weather girl.

* I begin mitts for winter, figuring out a pattern as I proceed.

* I sit in my car watching chickadees prying seeds off of the dried sunflower heads which droop on the kapakahi stocks. The bird feeders (greatly missed  at sunset) got put away because they attract marauding raccoons. Last summer a peek out the window at one am would give me a display of raccoon families raiding the birdseed. "Come on, Pa, let's pause the movie and get a snack." So now the sunflowers offer dinnertime for chickadees as I sit in my car in the driveway watching them. My little car must think it queer I sit head back to gaze at chittering chickadees. Actually, I quite often stay in my car after I have navigated the driveway and switched off the motor. Sometimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits. To escape the roving bands of beasts in the house I often eat fast food in my driveway parked car. They are curious that my hands quite often smell of grease. I read the other day that the use of 'quite' is a Britishism so I have begun incorporating its use into my writings. But for now I am quite tired so where did I put those winter pajamas.....

* A visiting son told me that he always knew when my husband and I were intensely discussing a topic of disagreement because we would be out in the car in the driveway together. I cannot recall what topics led us to go out there but now I wonder where couples went before cars were available. The barn? The root cellar? The south forty? Envisioning the possibilities for semi-clandestine disagreements will keep me up all night.

No comments: